With all the recent hype and Justin Trudeau promising to legalize marijuana I thought it would be good to have a discussion on why marijuana needs to be legalized asap!
Personally I am in full support of the legalization of marijuana for reason that I’ll outline below.
- Marijuana is probably not good for your lungs when inhaled in the form of smoke.
- Marijuana may trigger mental illness in younger users that are preconditioned to this disease.
- Legalizing may temporarily increase usage.
- The government screws just about everything up, at least in the short-term.
- Marijuana is considered by some to be a gateway drug. I don’t buy this for 1 second but I felt that it needed to be listed.
- Effects on short-term memory?
- It is a very effective medicine.
- Legalization will cripple the main source of income for organized crime and gun runners. Some will say that they will just move onto other things but I find this an absurd argument. There is no reason to believe that organised crime is not trying to maximize all avenues of profit today.
- Legalization will make it more difficult to source for minors in the same way that cigarettes and booze are today. Nobody is saying impossible but definitely much more difficult.
- Legalization will create a massive revenue stream from the Canadian taxpayer.
- Legalization will ensure quality control.
- The laws surrounding the legalization of marijuana are completely ineffective and virtually impossible to enforce.
- The majority of Canadians fully support the legalization of marijuana. Some polls say as high as 70%.
- In order for a crime to be committed there needs to be a victim. Marijuana usage is victimless.
- Countless lives have been ruined due to criminal records imposed for the conviction of possession of marijuana (so I guess it isn’t totally victimless).
- Most street-level dealers supplement their businesses by drawing taxpayer funded social assistance.
- Legalization will free up much needed law enforcement and judicial resources allowing them to focus on crimes that have real victims.
- Nobody has ever directly died from the usage of marijuana and driving while impaired happens more today than it would after legalization.
- Marijuana (hemp) can be used for countless industrial purposes.
- Crime rates in countries with full legalization are considerably lower than those in North America.
- Personal liberty. Why should the government be able to tell you what you can and cannot do in the privacy of your home when it has zero impact on others?
In my opinion, all drugs should be legalized, some decriminalized. Take Portugal for example, Since decriminalization of drugs “Drug use has declined overall among the 15- to 24-year-old population, those most at risk of initiating drug use, according to Transform.”